Dehumidifiers filter air, take out the harmful components and leave the moisture levels in the room significantly lower. However, most dehumidifiers out there require a great amount of energy to function, which is not only costly but also leaves high levels of carbon footprint.
This is where solar powered dehumidifiers come in. They offer renewable energy options to prevent mold, allergens, and damp from turning your space to a humid hell. By maximizing the energy from sunlight, you also get to make the ecosystem better. Let’s explore the best solar powered dehumidifiers and get solutions to some of the most common concerns with solar technology.
Despite the remarkable benefits of solar powered dehumidifiers, they have not been very common in the market and there are a few reasons for that:
- Lack of power in a battery powered dehumidifier: Some people consider solar powered dehumidifiers less effective. A traditional dehumidifier consumes an average of 200W of power, For solar gadgets, they cannot operate at night, so a battery is needed. A 300W solar panel may need a 200Ah battery to run a dehumidifier for up to 12 hours a day. Since solar dehumidifiers offer reduced power, they seem to be less effective in spaces needing heavy-action dehumidifying. Batteries cannot supply such power. Earlier I wrote an article explaining it in more depth：Battery-operated Dehumidifiers: Why are they disappearing?
- Most dehumidifiers are used in the home: The majority of homeowners need a solar powered dehumidifier for garage, RV, bathroom, and kitchen. With enough power already in the house, there may not be much need to move around with a solar dehumidifier. If you are looking for dehumidifier for garage, click the link for a detailed introduction.
- Sunlight dependence: For people living in places with less than ideal weather conditions, they may not get the maximum power from their solar panels since the panel energy conversion rates will drop.
- More expensive in the short term: Although a solar powered dehumidifier is great, it may be more expensive in the short term due to a more technical installation and maintenance costs. However, this is fast changing. Solar powered models are becoming more affordable.
- Renewable Solar Energy: The world is gradually entering into an energy crisis, which means that energy costs are likely to always be on the rise. Solar powered dehumidifiers offer renewable energy, which is much cheaper and can save you some money on your utility bills. Also, solar dehumidifiers reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which makes it eco-friendly.
- Portable: There are many models of compact solar dehumidifiers. Owners can use them anywhere in their cars, RVs, garage, shed, and boats. Also, they come in handy during camping. Since they are portable, they are not hard to maintain. Users may only need to change the filter once or twice in a year and wash it occasionally.
- Backup power source: With solar batteries, you do not need to worry about power outages since you can get many hours of run-time with solar powered dehumidifiers. This is cost-effective especially for those who already have their gas or electricity bills over the roof.
Solution 1 for Build One Solar Powered Dehumidifier
Solar powered Generator + Solar Panel Bundle + Dehumidifier
Solution 1 for Build Solar Powered Dehumidifier Advantages
- Professional integrated products
- Portable application
- Fast charges
- Multiple output
EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator DELTA Max
This dehumidifier has everything it takes to be the perfect solution for homes, garages, and vehicles. With a fast solar charging of up to 800W of solar input, DELTA Max saves you valuable time. If you have a shed or a small cabin located off the grid, this unit will serve as an excellent intermittent power source for you.
A huge capacity also makes the generator able to carry all your appliances. You do not have to bother about putting one app off for the other. It is also a good backup option for RV trips and camping. Thus, you can keep your solar powered dehumidifier for garage and other appliances going for hours without any hassle.
Another amazing benefit of the EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator DELTA Max is its stealth. Clean and quiet, it exudes no fumes or noise. Excessive noise is a deal breaker for many dehumidifiers, so having a noise less unit like this allows you to go about your daily activities without any inconvenience.
Finally, you can monitor and control the unit with an app, which only means more convenience for you.
Frigidaire 22-pint dehumidifier
If your attics, bathrooms, basements, garages, and RVs are exposed to heavy amounts of moisture, you will find this dehumidifier extremely useful. It can operate in a continuous mode and it has an extensive range of electronic functions, which solves all your condensation problems without any hassle.
As the name implies, the Frigidaire FFAD2233W1 dehumidifier removes as much as 22 pints of water daily, drying the atmosphere quickly and effectively. Custom humidity controls allow you to choose the desired dehumidification levels while a portable design allows you to setup and store the unit easily.
The exciting thing about having a dehumidifier like this is that you do not need to pay full attention to it. An automatic shut off lets you know when the tank is full. Even if you live in the rather colder parts of the world, you will still be able to maintain indoor air quality in your home.
Solution 2 for Build One Solar Powered Dehumidifier
Solar powered Panel + PWM Charge Controller + Inverter + AGM Battery + Dehumidifier
Solution 2 for Build Solar Powered Dehumidifier Advantages
- Resourceful: This solution teaches users a new skill
- Cost effective: You can save as much as $700 on this option
- More options: The DIY provides an array of options for owners
Solar powered Panel + PWM Charge Controller
The Renogy 100W Solar Power Starter Kit
This is the perfect option for those looking to get into solar technology. The Starter Kit offers a great deal of off-grid use in RVs, boats, sheds, and cabins. It provides noiseless power production as well as grid independence amongst several other benefits.
The kit comes with the following tools:
- One Renogy 100W 12V Mono Solar Panel
- One 20A Rover MPPT Charge Controller
- One 20ft 10AWG Solar Panel Connectors Adapter Kit
- one 8ft 10AWG Tray Cable, and one set of Z-brackets.
Since the solar panel is suited for applications with a small footprint, it is excellent for RVs and campers. Also, a 21% High solar cell efficiency from a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame guarantees excellent performance for outdoor use.
If you have unstable electricity with fluctuating voltage where you live, you have little to worry about since the unit has a way of detecting low voltages and converting them to useful voltages. As a result, you do not have to suffer losses that come with short circuit, excessive voltage, overcharging or discharging. Coupled with easy installation and a five-year warranty and you have value for your money.
Renogy 700 watts Pure Sine Wave off GRID Solar Inverter
For the majority of off-grid systems, whether for a van, semi-truck, fifth wheel, cabin, or any remote place needing electricity, this inverter has no problems with powering your home appliances.
Your appliances and gadgets will receive more protection and have a longer lifespan because of the impressive Renogy pure sine wave technology. Your dehum and other home electronics will operate more smoothly and with less noise because of the high inductive loads and silent operation of the inverter. It doesn’t get any better than this.
AGM Solar Battery (12 Volt 200Ah)
For standby or everyday power requirements, the Renogy 12V Deep Cycle AGM solar Battery is a great option. This maintenance-free battery may be used in a variety of systems, including RVs, off-grid cabins, watercraft, home backup power supplies, emergency power systems, medical equipment, and more. It is durable and has a leak-proof construction, which saves you money. It is a solid, practical, and affordable rechargeable battery choice for home and vehicle owners.
The unit requires little maintenance as well as leak-proof and non-gassing safety features. Also, 3% self-discharge rate greatly reduces the need to discharge the battery when not in use. Several additional features make this solar battery a high-performer. If you are on a budget, you will find this battery a useful addition to your home or garage. Moreover, it is strong enough to power just about every appliance in your home.
Frigidaire 22-pint dehumidifier
The Frigidaire 22-pint dehumidifier works seamlessly in moist areas, excellent for homes, RVs, and boats. A continuous mode operation near a low-level drain and a portable design are some cool features of this dehumidifier.
As previously mentioned, the solar powered dehumidifier for boats and RVs has a wide range of electrical features for easy operation. A 22-pint daily capacity of moisture removal makes it effective in living spaces. Setting the optimum comfort level is made simpler with three fan speeds and custom humidity settings. Other user-friendly features include a washable filter, an automatic shutoff, and a full tank indicator.
Before knowing how long your solar powered dehumidifier for RV will last on full charge, it is important to know the time it takes to reach full charge. Solar run dehumidifiers are powered by sunshine and since climates vary, it is only normal that there will be questions about a solar dehumidifier’s efficiency.
On the average, 4 to 6 hours of daily sunlight should power the dehumidifier for a few hours. As long as the panel is not blocked and it is receiving ample sunlight, your dehumidifier should work for hours without any hassle. Still, you may notice decreased efficiency on a few occasions. If you notice this, all you need to do is reposition the panels or try out other charging options for a better performance.
The good thing about solar powered dehumidifiers is that they can run on solar energy in the day time and on battery power at night. This allows for round-the-clock dehumidifying where needed. But if you are still wondering how long a full charge cycle lasts, here is what you need to know.
- Efficiency: Solar panels can run dehumidifiers, however the efficiency is usually reduced. Besides, humid air may act as an insulator which means that electric current passing through it only has little resistance
- Basic electric power laws: Owning a solar powered dehumidifier comes with knowing a little bit of physics. Understanding the basic energy laws makes it much easier to calculate things yourself. Below are some of the formula:
- Power (W) = Current (I) × Voltage (V)
- Battery Capacity or Watt-Hours (Wh) = Amp-Hours (Ah) × Voltage (V)
- 100Ah Battery Run Time = Battery Capacity / Appliance Wattage
- Solar system wattage (In Kw) x number of sunlight hours per day (In hrs) x (constant) x performance rating = Number of kWh per day
If a typical 5 KW solar system gets 5 hours of peak sunlight and has a performance rate of 0.95, it will give 5 x 5 x 0.95 = 23.75KWh/day
So, let’s come to the solutions we have provided.
The Frigidaire 22 pint dehumidifier takes 260 watts/hour to operate on high. This means that if the dehumidifier is to operate for 5 hours, it will need
260 Watts/hour x 5 hours =1.3 kWh
Solution 1: 2.016/1.3 = 1.55 hours
Solution 2: 2 /1.3 = 1.54 hours
Both solutions 1 and 2 have decent runtime on full charge when operating on high. However, you will get more hours with a slower fan speed. Overall, both solutions 1 and 2 offer slightly similar results.
Switching to renewable energy from solar panels may be a good decision for some people. Solar powered dehumidifiers and storage are long term investments for your home or garage. This is why you need to find all the answers to any questions in mind before making an informed decision. Here is a final piece of advice to keep in mind when getting a dehumidifier.
Remember to keep the unit in a well-lit area, clean, and free of debris. Store the dehumidifier in a cool, dry place when you are not using it and empty the water tank after each use. Home solar battery units may last around 5 to 15 years while solar powered systems may last for upwards of two decades, which means you may need to replace the batteries at some point in the future.
However, if you want to get a no solar powered dehumidifier, your best option may be the Frigidaire 22-pint dehumidifier. The dehumidifier traps dust from the air for a cleaner and more improved air quality in your home or garage. This is possible with an easy-to-clean washable filter and custom humidity control. A front loading bucket with a carrying handle and splash guard makes cleaning hassle-free. Overall, the dehumidifier is easy to use, prioritizes user comfort, and offers great value for money. Over 7,000 user feedback with mostly positive reviews further serves to show the high levels of satisfaction.