Too much humidity in a space makes it a breeding ground for pests and indoor pollutants. Dehums are in high demand today because they provide solutions moisture problems. They also address musty smells, and dampness in homes, car garages, and other spaces.
Of course, there are hundreds of dehums out there and finding the right one for your space is hard enough. But two dehums stand out because they can protect your home, save energy, and improve your health. These two dehums are Aprilaire and Santa Fe dehums.
We have made an Aprilaire vs Santa Fe dehumidifier comparison. Knowing the features to look out for in both series makes it easier for you to make the right decision when shopping for a dehumidifier for car garage or home. So, let’s dive in.
Aprilaire Dehumidifier Features
Aprilaire dehums are high-capacity units that control humidity and energy use in basements, crawlspaces, car garage and the whole house. Aprilaire’s features makes it different from others in the market.
Intuitive digital controls
The most striking thing about Aprilaire series is their intuitive digital controls. These controls make it easy to set and regulate the moisture in your home or car garage. Well, that is a good thing because it means Aprilaire’s products are user-friendly and will make things less stressful. All you need to do is put in your preferred digital humidity adjustment and take note of the readout. It may not sound like a big deal but it is one reason why many users go for Aprilaire.
Aprilaire’s five-year bumper-to-bumper warranty is unrivaled. Hardly any other dehum comes close. This is important when you consider the need to have a durable dehum without the fear of one part or the other caving in. In our opinion, warranty is one of the top features to look out for because you can save money on repairs and replacements.
Aprilaire comes with the duct collars included in the package. With this accessory, you can limit the ductwork that is attached to the air outlet. Unlike other dehums in the market where you have to pay additional bucks to get duct collars, Aprilaire’s product come with their own duct collars.
If you want to run dry air into a HVAC system to dehumidify your car garage or you have a dead air space where you want to push air into, you will save some money with Aprilaire.
Low noise levels
Aprilaire dehums are easily the most quiet dehums in the market today. There have been some noise complaints about many other dehums out there. Unless your dehum is in your crawlspace where a little noise would not matter, you might want to consider going for Aprilaire models.
Santa Fe Dehumidifier Features
Santa Fe is a household name when it comes to dehums. They are renowned for offering the most complete line of dehumidifiers. Here are the top features from Santa Fe.
The humidity control in Santa Fe series is mechanical. Thus, a turn knob controls the options unlike Aprilaire’s auto digital input. Although some customers do not mind, it becomes hard when you want to set the humidity to a particular percentage, say 50%. Also, if the device loses power, then you would need to reset the turn knob again.
Although they are a bit more expensive than Aprilaire’s, Santa Fe’s condensate pumps effectively transport condensed water to be pumped into a drain. This makes draining your dehum easier than ever.
Santa Fe offers six years warranty, which is a year more than Aprilaire’s. However, there is a downside. The six years is divided into two years full warranty and four years of partial warranty for the parts rather than the complete dehum.
All Santa Fe dehums come with automatic defrost systems that remove moisture and condensation in very low temperatures. Also, their rugged housing means that Santa Fe machines can last for years under harsh conditions. Car garages are subject to harsh conditions and could get down to super low temperatures, which helps us to appreciate Santa Fe dehums more.
Aprilaire vs Santa Fe Dehumidifier
Back to the billion-dollar question, SantaFe or Aprilaire? Both are good dehumidifiers for car garage designed and manufactured in the United States. Now that we have highlighted some of their features, let us compare a few of their products in detail.
Aprilaire 1850 vs Santa Fe Ultra98 Dehumidifier
At first glance, both seem to offer similar capacity in removing moisture daily. The Aprilaire 1850 removes 95 pints/day while the Santa Fe Ultra98 removes 98 pints per day. They do this under AHAM conditions (80F, 60% relative humidity). But it’s more than just moisture removal. Let’s weigh in on them.
- Weight: The Aprilaire 1850 weighs 75 pounds while the Santa Fe Ultra98 weighs six pounds more, coming in at 81 pounds.
- Space: The Santa Fe Ultra98 can be used alongside HVAC systems is car garages up to 2,300 square feet for which it offers superior air filtration. However, the Aprilaire 1850 covers up to 5,200 square feet.
- Energy efficiency: The Ultra98 draws just 5.9 Amps and maintains 2.95 energy factor, making it the most energy efficient 90-100 pint dehum on the market. The Aprilaire 1850 on the other hand draws 8 amps to perform optimally.
- Design: A compact, small-cabinet design makes the Santa Fe Ultra98 able to match multiple installations. The horizontal cabinet is well-insulated and leaves minimal footprint. The Aprilaire is not far behind it terms of its size.
- Additional features: The Ultra98 comes with a 24-volt reset button to deter electrical damage if low voltage wires are crossed. Also, an auto defrost function instantly melts frost build-up, allowing the Ultra98 to operate under temperatures as low as 49˚F. A 9-foot power cord makes installation options more flexible. Although the 1850 does not come with a drain tube, you will similar features on the 1850.
Aprilaire 1850 vs Santa Fe Ultra98 Comparison Table
|Dehumidifier||Aprilaire 1850||Santa Fe Ultra98|
|Weight||75 pounds||81 pounds|
|Space||5,200 square feet||2,300 square feet|
|Energy efficiency||8 Amps||5.9 Amps|
|Additional features||24-volt reset button|
|Control automatically starts dehumidification|
Although it requires professional setup, users love the Santa Fe Ultra98 for its flexible features and functional design. The 1850, on the other hand, is praised for its capacity, which makes it a solid dehumidifier for car garage
Aprilaire 1830 vs Santa Fe Ultra70 Dehumidifier
When it comes to compact dehums, the Aprilaire 1830 vs Santa Fe Ultra70 will always be an interesting comparison because of the similar traits they share. Let’s check them out.
- Weight: At 67 pounds, you would think that the Aprilaire 1830 is truly lightweight and portable. However, the Ultra70 weighs more 55 pounds making it the winner by a margin in this section.
- Space: The Santa Fe Ultra70 is rated to remove 70 pints of moisture per day under AHAM conditions in spaces up to 1,800 square feet. The Aprilaire removes just about the same number of pints of moisture a day. The space that they cover makes both models ideal for basements and crawlspaces.
- Energy Efficiency: The ultra70 uses about 15% less energy than similar dehums in its category. Thanks to the system’s efficient refrigeration coil, compressor, and fan, it only uses a maximum of 5.1 Amps of power and 2.4 Litres per Kilowatt hour. The Aprilaire 1830 draws 6.3 Amps making it a little less energy efficient than its rival.
- Design: The Ultra70 and the Aprilaire 1830 both have a flexible, compact design that allows easy fitting into tight low-clearance spots and conversion of airflow discharge. However, the Aprilaire 2830 is low maintenance and leaves no messy trays behind to empty.
- Additional features: You will find a range of accessories including ducting kits, external pump kit, dampers, a remote humidity controller and much more. This makes customizing both units super easy.
Aprilaire 1830 vs Santa Fe Ultra70 Comparison Table
|Dehumidifier||Aprilaire 1830||Santa Fe Ultra70|
|Weight||67 pounds||55 pounds|
|Space||3,800 sq. ft||1,800 sq. ft|
|Energy efficiency||6.3 Amps||5.1 Amps|
|Design||Flexible, compact design||Leaves no messy trays behind to empty|
|Additional features||24-volt reset button|
|Control automatically starts dehumidification|
Aprilaire vs Santa Fe: Which dehumidifier is better?
Objectively, it is a bit difficult to determine which is better between Aprilaire vs Santa Fe dehumidifiers. They both boast high levels of energy efficiency among their units and comparing their functions side-by-side may not provide enough reason to choose one over the other. They are both produced in the US, they both have reliable compressors, great warranty, and customer service.
Aprilaire units have the edge when it comes to digital interface, warranty, and overall cost. Santa Fe units, on the other hand, top the charts in terms of energy use, reduced noise levels, and overall design.
In the end, it all comes down to small differences and personal preferences. Whether it is whole-house or standalone units, you can hardly go wrong choosing any sides in the Aprilaire vs Santa Fe dehumidifier comparison.
Still unsure which dehumidifier for car garage get after our Aprilaire vs Santa Fe dehumidifier comparison? You can check out other related articles where we compare and review the best dehums in the market. Until then, catch ya later.